Monday 22 April 2013

N-Strike Elite 2013 - Rough Cut 2x4 Mod.

While the Rough Cut itself is a very fun weapon to use, it does have its limitations. Such limitations expressed by the community are:

  • Uncomfortable grip/pumping handle
  • Not easy to reload quickly 
  • Unable to load streamlines*
I will be addressing this by a few mods, or enhancements. 
1) Adding dart storage barrels to each side of the Rough Cut.
2) Replacing Rough Cut's grip handle to Nerf Quick 16's grip handle.

You will need:
2x Sharp Shot (Dart Tag Series)
1x Quick 16 Foregrip (Dart Tag Series)
5x Screws

Goal: To make the blaster more 'user-friendly', as well as either a viable primary or a solid secondary.

*(NOTE: I will NOT be opening up the blaster and modding the internals, this has been covered in Coop772's Mod Guide here.)


**Captions are read from the TOP**

The Rough Cut. Image courtesy of coolthings.




I started by taking out Nerf's Sharp Shot's dart storage barrels.



Here is what it looks like. This were to be fitted on each side of the Rough Cut. 




I marked out the spots to drill the screws in to hold the barrels.



I used a Victorinox punch to dig a hole through the blaster. I find this was the easiest way to do so to fit a screw through it. 



Holes punched and ready.



The Rough Cut with the dart compartment barrels installed.



I outfitted the barrels to each side of the gun, making a 6-dart storage, with 3 on each side. 




Back view. 




Front view. 



Side View.




Here is the final product! The grip handle was taken from a Quick 16 blaster, and the middle section was reinforced with a screw. The grip handle makes the Rough Cut easier to slam fire and more ergonomic as compared to the original. I have also added a Reflex Sight and a Carabiner for cosmetics.













2 comments:

  1. This is wicked cool. How much modification was needed to make the pump handle fit? Also, would a Rampage/Raider handle work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually just discovered the priming handle trick myself while messing with my Roughcut. I put stronger springs in it, and the old handle was a real wrist killer with the added resistance. So, looking in my bin of off-brand and parts guns, I noticed the Quick-16, and immediately took the handle off to see what I'd have to mod to make it work. Surprisingly, nothing. The gap is just the right size to fit on the nubs from the Roughcut. There is a very small amount of wobble side to side, but there's no play front to back, which is what counts. Totally makes the blaster 100% more usable.

    ReplyDelete